Visual Arts Center Covid Policy – Fall 2021
Workshop Attendees: For people who are not vaccinated, masks will be required at all workshops.
The exception to this is the Hill Country Atelier and wheel throwing pottery classes. Due to the close contact and essential one on one discourse with the instructor and other students, a vaccination is required. Proof of vaccination must be submitted prior to taking these courses.
Policies regarding public safety concerning the virus are ever-evolving. Thank you for your patience as we work towards our goal of ensuring our attendees are as safe as possible.
Coronavirus Screening Questions
- In the past 2 weeks have you had a new onset of fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, chills, muscle aches, or loss of taste or smell?
- In the past 2 weeks have you had a new or worsening runny nose, nasal congestion, headache, or nausea/vomiting/diarrhea that is not related to a chronic condition or seasonal allergies?
- Have you been asked to quarantine or been exposed to a person who has is confirmed positive for COVID-19 in the past 2 weeks?
- If you answer yes to any of these questions, you will not be able to attend.
To register for a workshop, please call (830) 367-5121. Please register at least a week BEFORE the start date of a workshop.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page to learn about our registration & cancellation policy.
Want to attend one of our workshops, but aren’t from the area?
CLICK HERE for a list of hotels and resorts close to us!
Adult scholarships are available for certain workshops.
Please CLICK HERE for a scholarship application form.
Open Studio Figure Drawing @ HCAF!
Every Saturday from 9:30am to 12:30pm (Postponed until further notice.)
Work from a live model with short and long poses!
Tuition: $15 per person
Pastel Landscapes with Doug Dawson
Dawson is a founder and teacher at the Art Students League in Denver. He taught figure painting for over 20 years, and landscape painting for the last 15. He wrote a North Light Book (no longer in print), titled “Capture Light and Color with Pastel” His work can be found in over 20 other instructional books and magazine articles. Dawson is a member of the American Watercolor Society, The Pastel Society of America, and the International Association of Pastel Societies. He is Master Pastelist and Hall of Fame Honoree of the Pastel Society of America. The workshop will be filled with many useful ideas, principles, and techniques. Ask anyone who has taken a Dawson workshop.
(Thurs. – Sat.) Oct. 7 – 9, 2021 (9am – 4pm)
Tuition: $375 for HCAF Members & $395 for Non-Members
Fall in the Hill Country with Heidi England
3D Christmas Village
Host of Angels Cross
(Sun. – Fri.) October 10 – 15, 2021
Tuition: $245 for HCAF Members & $265 for Non-Members
Beginner’s Copper Foil Stained Glass Workshop with Rienna Novy
No skills needed for this class. Bring a friend or neighbor and come join us for this fun and exciting class. See if stained glass is something you would be interested in before making the investment in supplies and tools. Please wear work clothes.
Skills taught in this workshop:
- The basics of pattern preparation
- Glass cutting techniques
- Copper foil construction
- Soldering a stained glass panel
Students will complete a copper foil project. There will be three patterns to choose from.
Class fee includes all materials and tools needed for this class!
(Sat.) October 23, 2021 (9:00am – 4:00pm)
Tuition: $150 for HCAF Members & $170 for Non-Members
Landscape Painting with Roger Parsons
This workshop is for Intermediate-to-advanced painters, with a goal of elevating your work to the next level—From a “pretty picture” to a work of Art! We’ll use photos and plein air studies in the studio. We’ll cover technical elements, especially Composition, Value and Color—with a particular emphasis on value keys and color chords—how to see & mix paints to get values and colors that work in the painting, and make the painting work!
(Mon. – Fri.) October 25-29, 2021 (9:30am – 4:30pm)
Tuition: $350 for HCAF Members & $370 for Non-Members
Powertex Grape Leaf Bowl with Sue Haberer
Powertex is a highly versatile product that makes most porous surfaces hard and weather resistant. This amazing product gives form and structure to cloth, paper, wood, gauze, concrete, plush toys, cardboard and more. The textile hardener makes it easy for a novice crafter to create beautiful sculpture using only a wire armature and an old t-shirt.
Powertex is a liquid medium, ready to use out of the package. Items can be dipped directly into Powertex or brushed on. Once applied, Powertex begins to dry but will remain flexible for hours, depending on room temperature. While it is in this flexible state, Powertex can be draped, folded, pleated and manipulated in countless ways. Once the treated item has been cured, it will be hard and durable. It will also be weather resistant and suitable for use outdoors. The exception to this is the transparent medium which will require a coat of outdoor (marine) varnish before it becomes weather resistant. Powertex is environmentally friendly and cleans up with soap and water.
(Sat.) November 6, 2021 (9:00am – 3:00pm)
Tuition: $180 for HCAF Members & $190 for Non-Members (Supplies are Included)
All HCAF workshop registration is done by phone or email.
Email inquires to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (830) 367-5121
To pay by mail, please send a check or money order for the full tuition or a 50% deposit for the workshop of your choice to:
P.O. Box 1169
Ingram, TX 78025
Students using MasterCard, Visa, or Discover may call (830) 367-5121.
Register early to insure participation in the workshop. Please send full tuition if registering less than 30 days before your workshop begins. If you are registering more than 30 days in advance, please send at least a deposit of 1/2 the total tuition of your workshop to hold your place. The balance is due 30 days prior to the first day of the workshop.
- Unless otherwise stated, deposits are refundable, less a handling fee, if you cancel 30 days or more before the start of the workshop. The cancellation notice may be sent by mail or email.
- If you cancel less than 30 days before the start of a workshop, you will forfeit the tuition for that workshop. However, you may have someone attend the workshop in your place, or you may donate your spot as a scholarship and you will receive confirmation of the donation to HCAF, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. No exceptions can be made to this policy, including personal or medical emergencies.
- Deposits may be applied to another workshop if cancellation is made within 30 days before the workshop.
- In the event that a class is cancelled by HCAF a full refund will be mad